12.04.2010

Vogue Does and Kills fashion at the same time.

Do you often buy Fashion Magazines or watch FT? We all know that magazines like Vogue, Elle, Cosmopolitan are known everywhere and being sold all over the world by billions of copies.

I don't know the exact saticstics but lots of girls buy these magazines every single day. Age, social group or nationality don't really matter here. Everybody can afford to buy a magazine.
Small book of fashion trends creates a convictions, dreams, targets, demand and preferences for most of weman of the Earth every month!
But have you ever thought of the information given there? Why does Chief Edditors decide what is fashionable and what isn't?
We all are different. And if the girl is not as slim as a model it doesn't mean that she is not beautiful! Model like girl is not able to be with any guy she wants just because of her beauty. Speaking about creating a family does beaty means a lot for you?
But that's not the issue. Why are there so many pages in Elle? Because somebody wants to have an impact on readers and after he pays to Media we pay to him. It's obvious. But still they make us think that fashion is first but it's not...
If you read in Vogue that  fake fur is ON this season then you know already that most of readers will run for things the saw exactly the minute they finish reading the magazine. If there are 10 coats just imagine how many identical looking girls will be seen on the streets. From personal expirience I can tell you that I had Uggs before it became popular and most of my friends made fun of me saying that I don't have taste. Now they all have a pair or two.
All the colors, shapes, fabrics are already planed. The people who runs the whole World Fashion Industry already know what will be "ON" in 5 or 10 years. And they are sure that people will buy it because they create a demand for the products they are selling. Coco Chanel became popular because she was innovative, creative and not afraid of society. She had an idea. Her brand had/has style, soul and history.
I never buy any magazines. I have niether time nor need to watch FT. I don't care who is on the NEW ADVERTISEMENT Compaign of YSL. Even Fashion Weeks I'm not an often visitor though in Ukraine I'm able to go to all catwalks if I want to. It doesn't seem like an exciting event for me anymore cos I've seen it, took part in it and then orginized it by myself.
All of us know that a dress in a magazine, the same dress in the shop and this dress on me - three complitely different things. So how can a photo make girls dream about the same thing which non of them saw or thouched? 
Another interesting fact: my friend READS Vogue from the very first page till the last one. And she really reads it like a book. She cannot aford to buy a lot of expansive clothes but she always comments about expansive clothes and it's prices of people whom she doesn't even know! Does it create jealousy?
You know what inspires designer to create collection? People, nature, animals, mess, weather - everything, what surround you and me as well. In the book: "How to become a designer" or something like that about people, who just traveling all over the world and making pictures of everything to get inpiration and understanding of world needs.
My bad: IPhone4, notebook, pen and camera. I make pictures of thing which impress me everyday at least on my phone to remember it.
Why don't a costumer do same book for himself? It's much more fun to create an own fashion guide by looking around and going to every shop begginig from the vintage market or even from grandma's closet. At least you will know what do YOU like. And not brands which paid Vogue to write a beautiful love story of designer, who founded the brand just to mention in the end that new store is opening soon. I don't think you will see anything making you want to wear this ugly "must have of the season" coloration which is called "military". Of course it can be a nice inspiring picture below which creates a desire to look like a soldier of to feel the army near. But being honest I should say that I have a very serious doubts about it!

On my opinion it is just a made up trend because designers were lazy or just had lack of imagination but they still needed to come up with "super new trend of the season". People will buy it cos it's a "must have" now. Rihanna wears it, Paris Hilton was seen on a fashion party in that last week and a number of other Stars as well have it. Of course! Brands are giving clothes to stars for free to promote it. Even if celebs don't like it most of them wouldn't reject an ability to be posted on "Fashion Star" page.
But as soon as season ends it will stay in ur closet with all others one day trends from all previous seasons!
You think you wear this ugly color which doesn't really suit you because you like it or at least it is trendy. 
In reality you just spent your money for the clothes fashion magazined wanted to sell.

No comments: